Thursday, April 5, 2007

Inteligencia Competitiva

Yesterday, I received a very kind note from a gentleman (and Competitive Intelligence Professional) named Adrian Alvarez. His company, Midas Consulting , provides consultative services in Latin America.

I read his latest blog entry and found his observations to be insightful. If you don’t read Spanish, I’ll take the liberty of (very briefly) summarizing Mr. Alvarez’ message:

Adrian ponders the fact that Guillefmo Cañas has beaten Federer twice in their last two meetings. He suggests two reasons for Cañas’ success:

1- Based on quotes from Federer, his intelligence on Cañas game may be out of date. I would appear that Federer was surprised when he was not able to exploit Cañas’ game during the last two matches.
2- Cañas’ desire to win may have been underestimated.

These points are brought to business by demonstrating:

1- Companies need to update their intelligence regularly. Old (bad) data may be worse than no data.
2- Don’t underestimate the lengths that smaller, more hungry companies may go to in order to take your customers and market share.

Adrian says that he posts once a week. Join me in returning to his blog regularly to review his insights. And, if you read other Intelligence blogs and think I should know about them, email me.

No comments: