Monday, April 23, 2007

Where does your Competitive Intelligence Go?

In some recent studies from Primary Intelligence, we have asked representatives from various industries and company sizes "Who has access to the competitive intelligence data?"

For the most part, Competitive Intelligence is distributed to executives and marketing managers. Sales receives the information to a lesser degree.

From our observations:

-Execs receive the data. Generally, they are sponsoring the research

-Point of the lance (Sales Reps) are not being included

-Indicates a predominance of strategic intelligence over tactical intelligence?

From my point of view, I think that it is an interesting phenomenon that the sales reps are not receiving the competitive intelligence as often as other departments. If they are front line, I would want to push out a little more information to them and help them be more competitive. If I were a sales rep, I would ask for more of this information.

I am curious about your experience with the executive group. What do they ask for the most? And, in your experience, do they use the information you provide? My experience is that many CI initiatives are reactionary ("Why did we lose that deal?!?!? When did [competitor] start selling widgets to compete with ours?!?!?!") By the time the Competitive Intelligence has been compiled, so much time has passed that the data can't be used.

But, I'm willing to believe that I haven't seen it all. Hopefully, there are various experiences.

What is your organization doing to broaden the distribution of your Competitive Intelligence? How are you maximizing the usefulness and benefits of your programs? Let me know how you think the intelligence should be used (or how the perfect CI program would run if you had a magic wand).

I'm here at cdalley@primary-intel.com, 801-838-9600 x5050

No comments: